Sick as 2 dogs ... and yet ...

It started yesterday evening as a toothache (think wisdom tooth giving a bit of a push towards the surface) that turned into a mild headache. A few hours later, the mild headache became a dull migraine that quickly progressed to a full on migraine. Climbed into bed and even the super soft, fluffy pillows hurt my head. For the first time in months, I was out cold before 11:30 PM.

At 1 AM, I woke up drenched in sweat and it felt like my head was going to explode. I kicked off all the covers and sat up so that the fan would hit me. It didn't give much relief, but enough that I tried to lay back down (sans covers). Less than 10 minutes later, I was so cold I was shivering violently. So I tossed the covers back on and once I felt warm enough, I stopped shaking. 10 minutes later, and I sat up drenched in sweat again. No matter if I was hot or cold, my nice, soft, fluffy pillows felt like a craggy mountain side. This went on for about an hour before I finally passed out.

Until ... about 3 AM when I woke up still in excruciating pain. (Even my hair hurt, it was that level of pain.) I got up to go get some ibuprofen and an ice pack. When I got back in bed, I up my head on my still-craggy pillow, and the towel wrapped ice pack on my forehead. A handful of ice cubes never felt so heavy! I haven't cried in YEARS, and if it wouldn't have made the migraine worse, I would have cried it hurt THAT bad.

Instead, I moved to the couch so that I could recline. It lessened the gravitational pull on the ice pack. I started to feel a little relief! YAAAAAAAY! And then I played a game called "blanket shuffle". I kept going from 1 blanket to 2 to none and so on and so forth. After a while, I was finally (FINALLY) comfortable! The pain in my head started to slowly subside. I wasn't too hot or too cold. I started to nod back off ... and then I went running.

The puking started around 3:45. I'd think I was done, and then I'd start up again. When it finally stopped, I went back to the couch, still feeling like I had to heave, but there wasn't even bile left to throw up. I nodded on and off until the little one came running into the living room around 8 AM and launched himself at me. My head still felt off and I still felt queasy, but I stayed awake for about an hour. Then I did the nap on/off thing for a bit and when I got my coffee, I got another ice pack for my head.

I spent most of the day on the couch noshing saltines and matzos. I had some water and some ginger ale. I *STILL* managed to do the dishes, all the laundry, make dinner (which included churning out zoodles), crocheted two more reusable paper towels, updated the spreadsheet for the family finances, finished the edits on the first draft of Whisper on the Wind, and started working on the ending of the book so that it can go out to my awesome Betas. It's now 10:30 PM and I'm back in bed. I've moved on to the "migraine hangover" and still feel a bit queasy, but I'm back to working on the end of the book.

Why do all that after feeling sick as two dogs? Because it takes a hell of a lot more than that to stop me!

7 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

Goodbye Florida!

We moved to FL in Feb 2008. It was supposed to be a temporary move. Well, that was the plan. And as we all know, not everything goes the way you plan it. In July we piled into the car and drove up